[Users] Microsoft Live (hotmail) oauth2 authentication always fails

jrjfreer at yahoo.co.uk jrjfreer at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 12 15:12:55 UTC 2024

  On Friday, 12 July 2024 at 14:45:28 BST, David Fletcher <david at megapico.co.uk> wrote:

 >> Yes, the documents have
>> probably fallen behind the new versions that use the listener.
>
>The FAQ is a wiki, someone with accurate knowledge, such as you, David, needs
>to update the page.

Hi Paul,

I've made a few updates. The Google instructions say very little about
Claws Mail configuration, focusing on the Google app registration part.
People seem to be getting on ok with that. The Microsoft instructions go
into more detail about Claws configuration, but this differs between
version 4.1 and earlier vs 4.2 and later. There's more info but also
the potential for more confusion.

As version 4.1 and earlier drop out of distribution repositories those
parts can be removed from the FAQ or archived, and the instructions will
become easier to follow.

jrjfreer at yahoo.co.uk jrjfreer at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Thing is with oath2 authentication - why can Evolution, Thunderbird and any phone email
> client [i use Samsung] carry it out with no problems. Claws needs some work to make user
> friendly

James - The difference is that those applications have pre-configured
ClientIDs that the developers have already registered with the email
service providers. That cuts down the work for users. However, after
much discussion it was decided not to do this in Claws Mail. Some users
prefer the autonomy of their own app registration. Google requires a
security audit of the software before they will issue a ClientID for
distribution with an application (who would pay for that? who would give
the required street/office address they want? who would re-audit with
each new release?). Basically the process is not compatible with a
smaller open source project while Mozilla, GNOME or Samsung can fulfill
the requirements.

Best regards, David
Hi David
Thx for explaining. I appreciate it. Technically i am not so knowledgeable - i'm just a linux user.
james