[Users] claws-mail with OAuth2 IMAP O365Q

Olaf Hering olaf at aepfle.de
Fri Jan 12 08:20:25 UTC 2024

Thu, 11 Jan 2024 22:08:24 +0100 "Philippe Cara (TB)" <philippe.cara at vub.be>:

> Thank you Olaf!

Sorry, I made two mistakes yesterday:

GMail works out of the box (with 4.2) if Claws Mail pretends do be Thunderbird. This can be done by using "406964657835-aq8lmia8j95dhl1a2bvharmfk3t1hgqj.apps.googleusercontent.com" as client_id, and "kSmqreRr0qwBWJgbf5Y-PjSU" as client_secret.

O365 can not work with 4.2. The allowed Thunderbird redirect_url is 'https://localhost'. This means Claws Mail needs to have a HTTPS server on port 443. Even if it would listen on that port, which certificate would it present to the browser? I think Thunderbird will present a certificate to browsers which are automatically trusted. But, maybe the user needs to confirm that?

With an unmodified Claws Mail, I tried to tweak the URL and replaced 'http://127.0.0.1:8888' with 'https://localhost', which avoided the error on the remote side. But Claws Mail failed to extract the "authorization code", if I copy the URL into the "Authorization Code" text field.

In the end I returned to my copy of 3.19.0, which still works with O365, via copying the URLs to and from the browser.

Olaf