[Users] Reinstallation of Claws-Mail

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 02:54:21 UTC 2023

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 13:04:05 -0400
Lucus Bauder <bauderlj at gmail.com> wrote:

> What can I do to minimize reconfiguration of Claws Mail when doing a
> full system wipe? That includes emails, external email service
> accounts, and settings. The most important part for me would be the
> processing and filtering rules I've set up.

DM: Hi, Lucas. I've mainly only done this for Linux to Linux transfers,
and what works best for me is to just copy/paste the message stores
(emails) and the configuration directory (.claws-mail). (I use
non-default locations for these, so I need to then check / change paths
and edit / create menu items / launchers / shortcuts as needed, but
that's pretty much it.) My understanding is that all of Claws Mail's
basic configuration settings are stored in the configuration directory.
I think I have seen though on this list that some people have mentioned
there are some Claws Mail plugins that have some settings / data stored
outside of this directory that they also found necessary / useful to
include in the transfer. I have never had the need to do this, and am
not sure which plugins that applies to. So some of your solution may
depend on the details of how you are using Claws Mail.

DM: I don't know how this might be different for a Windows to Windows
transfer, but perhaps some of the basic concepts are transferable in
helping you get started in figuring this out. (BTW, the information
you're looking for should likely also be used for doing regular backups
in order to minimize pain if you ever need to do a restore. 🙂️) The
developers (especially those working on the Windows port) can likely
give you a definitive answer (although in generalities because of not
knowing your specific system, how you're using Claws, etc.), or perhaps
other users who have done the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if
this question has also been asked and answered before on this list, so
you could also search the list archives. HTH, ---Dustin