[Users] How to make the scrollbar sliders have more contrast

slitt at troubleshooters.com slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Sep 2 22:25:00 UTC 2023

Hi all,

I can't find it now, but I could swear somebody on the Claws lis asked
how to make scrollbars more contrasty. I've wanted to do this for all my
GTk3 apps for a long time, so I looked it up. Everything I say from here
forth is based on material from
https://askubuntu.com/questions/775201/how-do-i-get-a-bigger-static-scrollbar-aka-normal-scrollbar

If all I want is more contrast, I can put the following at the bottom of
~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

scrollbar slider {
    background-color: black;

    /* Padding around the slider */
    border: 5px solid transparent;
    border: 5px solid #ff9999;
}

Then stop and restart Claws.

If you don't want a colored border around the slider you can delete the
line with #ff9999, in which case the border becomes the same color as
the underlying scrollbar. If you *do* want a colored border, you can
delete the line with "transparent".

I think my GTk3 apps' scrollbars' are much too narrow, so while I was
at it I widened them, as follows:

scrollbar slider {
    /* Size of the slider */
    min-width: 16px;
    min-height: 28px;
    border-radius: 18px;
    background-color: black;

    /* Padding around the slider */
    border: 5px solid transparent;
    border: 5px solid #ff9999;
}

Obviously, your color and width preferences are very different from
mine, so change colors and widths to accommodate your needs.

HTH,

SteveT