[Users] Unable to Load LiteHtmlViewer Plugin (Using libgumbo2) on v4.1.1git90

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 10:09:00 UTC 2023

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 20:02:13 +0600
Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 11:09:11 -0000
> Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 16:20:42 +0600
> > Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > DM: So I guess the question is, what's the best resolution for
> > > this? ...
> >
> > Try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH before building. For example:
> >
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/
> >
> DM: ... I went with a more 'sticky' solution(1), but the TLDR is that
> once the '/usr/local/' path was added, then I was able to load the
> plugin w/o re-building or even re-starting Claws.

DM: As part of trouble-shooting a different program, I've been learning
a bit more about ldconfig, and thought I'd post a note on this thread
in case it's helpful to others. I'm reasonably certain that all I would
have needed to do to resolve my problem was to run ldconfig (as root).
This is because some distros include /usr/local/lib in their library
search paths by default (with Linux Mint Debian Edition 6, this path is
listed in the file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf). My error was in
thinking that putting / installing a library in a 'known' search path
would make it findable by the system. However, since ldconfig uses a
cache system, you need to run ldconfig (thus updating the cache) to
make the library findable. Presumably package managers include this as
part of the install routine, but if you're building it yourself you
need to do it manually if you want/need the system or other programs to
access it. If you do this and it is still not found, then it's likely
it's in a non-default location and you'll need to use the temporary
solution Paul mentioned above or the semi-permanent solution I
mentioned below. Learning these things helped clear up some unknowns
for me in regards to this, so I thought I'd share it here as well.
Cheers, ---Dustin