[Users] Error creating socket_dir /tmp/claws-mail-1001: No such file or directory

Luc GMail lucmove at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 01:14:17 UTC 2023

I am on Debian 9.

Six years old is not that much. People already used email, claws and Debian
six years ago, it's not the Stone Age we are talking about.

The concept of "support" is debatable. I would call "support" asking claws
mail to change the software to fix some problem I have.
I am not asking that. I am asking if anyone has any idea why the problem
happens (on one kernel but not the other) and if there could be some kind
of workaround to get past it. Creating the directory manually doesn't work.
The error is not completely unknown, it can be found on Google, but none of
the search hits was helpful in my case.

I really resent the general attitude that people have towards me because I
am using old software. One, I have at least a dozen Windows programs from
the 90s (all binary, no source) that I use on Wine almost every day. It's
such a shame that Linux can't get anywhere near providing that kind of
durability. Two, everybody acts like some attorney looking for reasons to
acquit or convict rather than someone who has any interest in helping. I
imagine these people responding to a parent whose child has fallen into a
well. "Yeah, that's too bad, but there was a sign warning children not to
come near the well and your child is old enough to read, so I'm afraid he
is going to die." Or "Well, we have this length of rope here, but it's only
15 feet and the well is 18 foot deep so yeah, he is going to die." Doesn't
seem reasonable at all to me. Neither is it reasonable to assume that
someone who comes here to ask for this kind of help can "Compare the
kernels." It's like asking for help with some vehicle malfunction and being
told to take the car apart.