[Users] Updating message list when a filter is active

Paul Rolland rol at witbe.net
Tue May 16 07:01:19 UTC 2023

Hello,

On Mon, 15 May 2023 18:31:44 -0000
Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> There's a conceptual problem here with regard to the word "active".

Yes, difference between the user's PoV and the developper's PoV... I've had
a quick look at the code, and I see what you mean ;)

> The QuickSearch is /active/ when it is compiling the list of results; it
> ceases to be active when that list of results is displayed - it is no
> longer running, it is no longer active - that is the end result of its
> activity.

My PoV is that it's active when the Message list (Summary view) content is
the result of its action.

> In my view, this is not counter-intuitive, it's just the way it works.

Yep... I understand, it's kindda "one shot exec", and not some "permanently
active^Wrunning until cleared".

> With that in mind, there is clearly no way to run the QuickSearch and
> ensure the message list is updated with subsequent new matching messages
> without running QuickSearch again.

Do you think (as a developer knowing the code) it'd be possible to call the
function applying the quicksearch (quicksearch_run_on_folder() ?)
automagically after fetching new mails ?

Or is it what the "sticky" option does, as suggested by wwp (it's not my
understanding of the "sticky" option, I was using it to keep a quicksearch
criteria when navigating accross folders, but it may have that extra
effect, I need to test).

Regards,
Rol