[Users] Updating message list when a filter is active

Paul paul at claws-mail.org
Mon May 15 18:31:44 UTC 2023

On Mon, 15 May 2023 19:03:52 +0200
Paul Rolland <rol at witbe.net> wrote:

> Not sure if that was ever mentionned on the list, but is there a way to
> ensure the message list is updated when:
>  - you have an active filter (for example based on the subject),
>  - Claws fetches new mails,
>  - at least one mail is matching the filter.
>
> What I observe on my laptop is that the list is not updated as long as a
> filter is active, which can be painful because it gives the impression that
> there is no activity on the filtered subject when you may have received
> several emails.
>
> And removing the filter to re-add it is kindda counter-intuitive...

There's a conceptual problem here with regard to the word "active".

The QuickSearch is /active/ when it is compiling the list of results; it
ceases to be active when that list of results is displayed - it is no longer
running, it is no longer active - that is the end result of its activity.

In my view, this is not counter-intuitive, it's just the way it works.

With that in mind, there is clearly no way to run the QuickSearch and ensure
the message list is updated with subsequent new matching messages without
running QuickSearch again.

with regards

Paul