[Users] office365 oauth2

dmacdoug dmacdoug at usc.edu
Mon May 15 23:08:50 UTC 2023

On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 12:51:46PM +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
> Do you know if other people at the same university can access their email
> on their phone or tablet? If several different Android phones can access
> that points towards just needing a valid Client ID since it's unlikely
> the university will have individually blocked or allowed all the
> different possible email clients on different phones.

Good point.  I haven't put much thought into phone email clients.

Everyone I know can access their email on phone or tablet of any OS.
That's virtually a requirement in a medical school or any research or
teaching institution.

I myself have used several which are extremely uncommon apps by individual
developers, some quite new, and they seem to have no problem in setting up
authentication.  They never go near any Azure pages, They just ask for two
factor authentication on USCs directory server once and then their good to
go seemingly forever.  I think one that I tried failed, but it may have been
that I couldn't type my password without errors

It's impossible to imagine that they were individually selected to be
approved by either the university or by Microsoft.  Several of them were
free open source apps.  Maybe they reused existing open source code that had
been approved and would carry the approval over or something like that.

Anyway, that muddies the waters in my mind.  I'll have to digest it all.

DWM