[Users] office365 oauth2

David Fletcher David at megapico.co.uk
Mon May 15 12:51:46 UTC 2023

dmacdoug <dmacdoug at usc.edu> wrote:
>I went to a university webpage which used a two step authentication to ID
>me against the university directory, which then in the case of Thunderbird
>put me directly into my email account, but in the case of Claws-mail bounced
>me to the Azure page.

I think they are just trying to be helpful by bouncing you over to Azure,
but it should not be necessary to sign into that via the university. The
Azure accounts are free for generating the client ID. I had a personal
Outlook email account and once signed into that I could click through to
Azure. There's paid services there, but as far as my experience went
they were not needed to register Claws Mail for an ID.

>I'm not sure that's the full story.  In the case of getmail, I recall that
>the use of the Thunderbird client_id and secret were first described by
>someone who used them to get into their their gmail account.  They couldn't
>do it on their own.  The ID and secret came from Thunderbird.

Maybe it does depend on how locked down the university has made things
with Microsoft.

Do you know if other people at the same university can access their email
on their phone or tablet? If several different Android phones can access
that points towards just needing a valid Client ID since it's unlikely
the university will have individually blocked or allowed all the
different possible email clients on different phones.

Best wishes, David.