[Users] office365 oauth2

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Sun May 14 09:49:57 UTC 2023

On Sun, 14 May 2023 00:45:53 -0700
dmacdoug <dmacdoug at usc.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 08:01:49AM +0600, Dustin Miller wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 May 2023 17:58:43 -0700
> > dmacdoug <dmacdoug at usc.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > My University email is handled on Microsoft office365.
> > > I've been using Thunderbird with it successfully but I'd
> > > like to give Claws-mail a try instead.  I tried to follow
> > > the instructions given for Outlook or Exchange here:
> > >
> > > https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Oauth2*Setting_up_OAuth_2.0_for_Microsoft_-_for_Outlook_or_Exchange__;Iw!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!rljErTFRfc4gOk_S5iPw7i1pcwYmWR_5I-8Vus3WXd3KhMrlem80aa3qP9c4qk2leB6hEVj2LD-kdlQ$
> > >
> > > Step 1 is to login to portal.azure.com which works.
> > > Step 2 is to click on Azure Active Directory.
> > >    When I do this it briefly displays the side menu
> > > where I presume link to click in step 3 might be, but
> > > then goes to an error message saying "you do not have access".
> > >
> > DM: Hi, Don. Microsoft seems to give their clients (i.e. your
> > university) quite a bit of control in regards to security-related
> > and other settings. Based on the error message you're getting, it
> > sounds to me like your university has chosen not to let its email
> > users change whatever Azure settings you're not able to access. So
> > my approach would be to contact the relevant people at your
> > university who could tell you whether what you're trying to do is
> > possible or not. If you can't get past this first step, I doubt
> > there's anything you can do to make it work. ... HTH, ---Dustin
> > >
> Thank you Dustin for your reply. ...

DM: You're welcome, Don.

> ... there are some messages that just need to be seen on a GUI
> client, and Thunderbird works with oauth2, so I've been using
> Thunderbird for that but claws-mail has a few advantages over
> Thunderbird so I thought I'd see if I could use it instead but I got
> the error message.   I've been wondering if it has anything to do
> with the client-id and client-secret problem

DM: If I'm understanding correctly what you're describing, it doesn't
seem like the problem would be related to these, at least at the point
that you're stuck. I say because it seems to me at that point the only
thing Microsoft and your university email admin know is what
Microsoft-related account you're logged in with -- they don't know that
you're wanting to try to set up Claws Mail. From my experience, you
would still need to pose as Thunderbird, but it seems like a moot point
unless / until you get this earlier problem figured out. Hope you'll
find a workable solution.

> so I figured if someone else had already worked it out I'd seek their
> wisdom and if not I might be able to find an answer.  Either way I
> figure it could be valuable to others in the future.

DM: Sure, that makes sense. Best, ---Dustin