[Users] office365 oauth2

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Fri May 12 02:01:49 UTC 2023

On Thu, 11 May 2023 17:58:43 -0700
dmacdoug <dmacdoug at usc.edu> wrote:

> My University email is handled on Microsoft office365.
> I've been using Thunderbird with it successfully but I'd
> like to give Claws-mail a try instead.  I tried to follow
> the instructions given for Outlook or Exchange here:
>
> https://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Oauth2#Setting_up_OAuth_2.0_for_Microsoft_-_for_Outlook_or_Exchange
>
> Step 1 is to login to portal.azure.com which works.
> Step 2 is to click on Azure Active Directory.
>    When I do this it briefly displays the side menu
> where I presume link to click in step 3 might be, but
> then goes to an error message saying "you do not have access".

DM: Hi, Don. Microsoft seems to give their clients (i.e. your
university) quite a bit of control in regards to security-related and
other settings. Based on the error message you're getting, it sounds to
me like your university has chosen not to let its email users change
whatever Azure settings you're not able to access. So my approach would
be to contact the relevant people at your university who could tell you
whether what you're trying to do is possible or not. If you can't get
past this first step, I doubt there's anything you can do to make it
work. As an example, my organization has been getting tighter and
tighter on security. First they disabled POP, so I switched to IMAP,
and they wouldn't agree to approve Claws Mail so I had to pretend to be
Thunderbird. Then they disabled IMAP, so now I'm basically stuck with
having to use web-mail since I'm not a Microsoft product (Windows,
Outlook, etc.) user. HTH, ---Dustin