[Users] Color choices affected by non-standard quote characters

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 02:14:30 UTC 2023

Hey there,

Viatrix via Users wrote:
>Little Girl wrote:

>The behaviour you describe here sounds like behaviour related to
>*composing* messages, not receiving messages? Can you clarify what
>you mean?

It happens on both composed and received messages. I'm hoping there's
a way to ask Claws Mail to behave the same way in both cases rather
than one way for one kind of quote marks and another way for another.

>As far as I know, Claws' behaviour when *displaying received
>messages* is to only display lines beginning with a quote marker as
>a quote, whether the quote marker be ">" or "AB>" or otherwise.

Actually, it displays a quote mark at the beginning of any line it
considers to be quoted text. If a line begins with a quote mark and
continues beyond the end of the line to the next line, etc., Claws
Mail quotes that line (and any beyond that) as well, until a hard
stop is reached, but only with the preferred/standard quote marks.

I'm attaching another screenshot. This is from a public message we
all received in the Claws Mail mailing list on 03-18-09 with the "how
can claws be tweaked to have nice look ?" subject line.

The quoted text wasn't intended to be quoted. The sender was using
the marks to indicate list items. Regardless, the fact that a
character followed by a greater-than symbol was used at the
beginning of those three lines was enough to get Claws Mail to quote
it.

Notice, in that screenshot, that the third item in the list spans two
lines, yet only the first of those two lines is quoted. The "KMail
but I am searching this feature )" line is not colorized by Claws
Mail. If those lines started with just a greater-than symbol, all of
that paragraph would have been quoted, because that last line belongs
to the one above it and Claws Mail normally knows that (most likely
from the presence (or lack thereof) of a hard stop. The non-standard
(or non-preferred) quote marks are behaving somewhat differently,
which is what I'm trying to sort out.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.