[Users] mailing list

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Jun 28 21:41:32 UTC 2023

On 29/6/23 05:33, Richard wrote:

>> Date: Thursday, June 29, 2023 05:26:01 +0800
>> From: Bret Busby <bret at busby.net>
>>

>> To confirm that such a facility exists elsewhere (I could not find
>> it in the claws-mail user manual), for reference to the facility in
>> Thunderbird, see
>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1383413 .
>>
>> If none of the users can answer the query of the OP, perhaps, Paul,
>> who is, I believe,the developer of claws-mail, can answer whether
>> the functionality is available in claws-mail, and, if so, how to
>> implement it.
>
> I concur that the OP appears to be after a "group" addressbook
> option. A reference to that can be found as the bottom item at:
>
>    <https://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Composing_Mails_Or_News>
>
> After bring up the address book -- select "Edit" and a "New Group"
> option should show.
>
> One caution, some MSPs have a view of how many recipients they are
> willing to accept on a single message. Often this is in the 20-25
> range, so multiple groups may need to be set up and mailed to
> separately if issues are encountered.

Yes - using that URL (I had not thought to search the FAQ - I searched
only the user manual), gives

"
Can I set up an alias for a list of recipients?

Yes, using the address book

Open the address book: '/Tools/Address Book' Right click an address
book, create a Group using 'New Group' Add addresses to that Group.

In the Compose window use TAB-auto-completion to select and use that Group.
"

I trust that that is what is sought by the original poster.

And, thank you, Richard, for bringing that functionality and how to
achieve it, to the attention of all of the users. I have previously used
the functionality, in another email application (I am not sure which -
it may have been pine), some years ago, for sending messages to my
family, as a group, rather than selecting several email addresses, each
time.

..
Bret Busby
Armadale