[Users] can't get Firefox to open when I right click on small icon that shows text/html

Jigme Datse jigme.datse at datsemultimedia.com
Thu Jun 1 04:01:30 UTC 2023

On Wed, 31 May 2023 23:50:06 -0400
Gil Weber <gilweber at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:25:28 +1000
> Peter Richards <peter777 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 31 May 2023 20:15:17 -0400
> > Gil Weber <gilweber at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I cannot get Firefox to open from an e-mail when I right click on
> > > the small icon on the far right side of the window (that says:
> > > text/html). I only get Chrome.
> > >
> > > When I right click and select: "open with" (no quotation marks)
> > > I get this:  xdg-open %s
> > >
> > > I have tried to select other "open with" options including:
> > >
> > > firefox %U
> > > firefox '%s'
> > > firefox --new-window '%s'
> > >
> > > but they won't stick. The drop-down defaults back to:
> > >
> > > xdg-open %s  and I get Chrome.
> > >

> > What do you have in Preferences  |  Message View  |  Web Browser  ?
> >
> > Also what is the system default browser ?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Peter
>

> Peter, thanks.
>
> I do not have Preferences | Message View | Web Browser.
> Instead I have Preferences | Message View | External Programs.
>
> Then under that I have (without the <> marks):
>
> <Use system defaults when possible>
> <Web browser  firefox '%s'>
> <Text editor  gedit %s>
>
> Please note that the tick box under <Use system defaults> is ticked.
> If I untick it the dropdown then shows <firefox  '%s'> instead of
> <xdg-open %s> and no brower opens.
>
> The preferred browser application selected for Mint 20.2 shows:
> <Firefox Web Browser>

I've run into an issue with having Firefox as the default for xdg-open,
that it often will compain that it is "already open".  I suspect
there's a workaround for that, but I did a good deal of research on it.
 Apparently it's not unknown, but not common enough that it's getting
 fixed.  My system is Gentoo, but I'm wondering if your situation may
 be similar.