[Users] can't get Firefox to open when I right click on small icon that shows text/html

Gil Weber gilweber at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 1 03:50:06 UTC 2023

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:25:28 +1000
Peter Richards <peter777 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 May 2023 20:15:17 -0400
> Gil Weber <gilweber at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > I cannot get Firefox to open from an e-mail when I right click on
> > the small icon on the far right side of the window (that says:
> > text/html). I only get Chrome.
> >
> > When I right click and select: "open with" (no quotation marks)
> > I get this:  xdg-open %s
> >
> > I have tried to select other "open with" options including:
> >
> > firefox %U
> > firefox '%s'
> > firefox --new-window '%s'
> >
> > but they won't stick. The drop-down defaults back to:
> >
> > xdg-open %s  and I get Chrome.
> >

> What do you have in Preferences  |  Message View  |  Web Browser  ?
>
> Also what is the system default browser ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Peter, thanks.

I do not have Preferences | Message View | Web Browser.
Instead I have Preferences | Message View | External Programs.

Then under that I have (without the <> marks):

<Use system defaults when possible>
<Web browser  firefox '%s'>
<Text editor  gedit %s>

Please note that the tick box under <Use system defaults> is ticked.
If I untick it the dropdown then shows <firefox  '%s'> instead of
<xdg-open %s> and no brower opens.

The preferred browser application selected for Mint 20.2 shows:
<Firefox Web Browser>

Thanks.
Gil