[Users] Error while compiling on macOS

David Fletcher David at megapico.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 09:43:35 UTC 2023

>And then compiled Claws Mail with LibEtPan:
>
>$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/homebrew --disable-archive-plugin
>$ --disable-dillo-plugin --disable-notification-plugin
>$ make
>$ sudo make install
>
>I was hoping IMAP would work, after compiling LibEtPan with GnuTLS,
>though I get the "TLS handshake failed" error. Does IMAP work for you?
>
>Also, what do you (and others) know about how people use Claws Mail on
>macOS? They don't type `claws-mail` in the terminal, right?

Hi Leo,

Yes, IMAP is working for me. But there's also been another thread on
there about the same error with "TLS handshake failed" and I don't
think the underlying cause has been identified yet.

Looking at my installation I've spotted something that might help. My
manually installed libetpan is in /usr/local, but I've also copied a
static library over to the /opt/homebrew/lib folder (actually I can't
remember doing this, but it's there so I must have done):

dif at Davids-MacBook-Pro-3 ~ % ls -l /usr/local/lib/libetpan.*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   990032 25 Oct 23:06
/usr/local/lib/libetpan.20.dylib
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  5974800 25 Oct 23:06 /usr/local/lib/libetpan.a
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       17 25 Oct 23:06
/usr/local/lib/libetpan.dylib -> libetpan.20.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      948 25 Oct 23:06 /usr/local/lib/libetpan.la

dif at Davids-MacBook-Pro-3 ~ % ls -l /opt/homebrew/lib/libetpan*
-rw-r--r--  1 dif  admin  5974800 25 Oct 23:10
/opt/homebrew/lib/libetpan.a

Maybe you can replicate this arrangement, recompile Claws, and see if the
"TLS handshake failed" error goes away?

To start up Claws I created a little app using the Mac Automator
application (it's included with MacOS). I think these are the
instructions, or will at least give you an idea how to do it:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/automator/autbbd4cc11c/mac

Within that it runs this one line script:
do shell script "export OS_ACTIVITY_MODE=disable;
/opt/homebrew/bin/claws-mail &> /dev/null &"

Best wishes, David.