[Users] Thunderbird vs Claws Mail

slitt at troubleshooters.com slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Aug 18 07:41:31 UTC 2023

>I am a long time user of Thunderbird. No real complaints, but the GUI
>has slowly been changed.
>lately I have been struggling with that, trying to get it to be My
>Way. Minor success.
>
>also the .msf files have gotten Huge and that hinders rapid and easy
>backups.
>
>In the process I would like to do some housekeeping, fix a few filters
>and rearrange my copious folders.
>
>Question: do you folks recommend migrating to Claws Mail?
>the initial look and feel seems to be familiar and comfortable, but I
>know little of the history and stability.

The huge thing is that Thunderbird fails miserably when accessing
messages from a huge IMAP. So if you do what I do and use your email
client as merely a window to your local IMAP server, with all your
messages stored on the IMAP server, then Thunderbird takes a day to do
what Claws Mail or Evolution do in two minutes. So for me, Thunderbird
is unusable. You, however, seem to store messages in Thunderbird's
local storage format, so if Thunderbird's responsive enough in your
situation, then you don't have my problem.

>secondly, will I be missing the basic features such as Filters?

I think the only valuable thing Thunderbird has and Claws doesn't is
pretty. Pretty UI, pretty rendering of (ugh) HTML email, etc.

SteveT