[Users] Thunderbird vs Claws Mail

Chris Schrauben chrisretusn at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 02:58:28 UTC 2023

On Tue, 15 Aug 2023 10:16:53 -0700
Peter Ehlert <pb21a at sdi-baja.com> wrote:

> I am a long time user of Thunderbird. No real complaints, but the GUI
> has slowly been changed.
> lately I have been struggling with that, trying to get it to be My
> Way. Minor success.
Long time user of Claws Mail. I love it. I've never used Thunderbird
aside from trying it, that did not last long ;-)

> also the .msf files have gotten Huge and that hinders rapid and easy
> backups.
Had to look up what those were.
> In the process I would like to do some housekeeping, fix a few
> filters and rearrange my copious folders.
Rearranging folder is as easy, you can do this is Claws Mail or like I
do for a major rearrangement is close Claws Mail and rearrange the
directories (I'm on Linux), run Claws Mail and "Rebuild folder tree".
Encluding the standard folders (draft,inbox,queue,sent,trash) I have
196 folders.
> Question: do you folks recommend migrating to Claws Mail?
Well your getting my biased opinion, of course give it a try.
> the initial look and feel seems to be familiar and comfortable, but I
> know little of the history and stability.
I can tell you in all the years, since at least 2012, most likely
before that I have used Claws Mail I have been totally satisfied.
> secondly, will I be missing the basic features such as Filters?
Don't know that answer to this in comparison to TB, I will say one of
reasons I decided against TB was lack of filter capabilities, keep in
mind that was a while ago, this may have improved. Filters? I have 109
of them. Most filter off the Inbox. A few of of other folders. All of
my accounts are POP3 accounts.