[Users] Upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 and now cannot start claws-mail.

Paul paul at claws-mail.org
Fri Sep 30 11:40:25 CEST 2022

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 11:23:04 +1300
Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> Is there anyway I can try to start claws-mail from the command line,
> using snap?  So that I can test out that conjecture?

As was already somewhere in this thread, it looks like you have 2 different
claws-mail packages installed.

I recommend removing the claws-mail snap package and keeping the standard one:

sudo snap remove claws-mail

I'd go further than that in saying that you should avoid snap packages
altogether. However, ubuntu seems set on forcing snap packages on users, so
the logical extension (in my thinking, at least), is to avoid ubuntu and
choose a different distro.

You said somewhere else in this thread that you thought installing a distro
from scratch would be too difficult for you. I doubt that. Several distros
make things super simple. e.g., installing fedora is pretty much just a matter
of clicking a few buttons. Other distros are probably similarly easy.

with regards

Paul