[Users] Upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 and now cannot start claws-mail.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Sep 30 00:51:07 CEST 2022

On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 11:04:27 +0200
Norwid Behrnd via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 18:13:25 +1300
> Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> > So something is not right.  But my understanding is so limited that
> > I can't tell *what* is not right, nor have I any idea how to fix it.
>
> @Rolf Does "upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04" describe "1) There was a
> running instance of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (or older).  2) With the
> publication of the next LTS' first point release 22.04.1, while
> running 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) the upgrade actually was a
> `do-release-upgrade` to eventually use Jammy Jellyfish"?

As far as I can understand things (not very far!!!) the upgrade was
done via "1)".

> If so, a
> pristine installation of the 22.04 LTS can bypass obstacles a release
> upgrade might not resolve successfully.

No way am I going to undertake a "pristine installation"!!! :-)
Way beyond my pay-grade, and seems to me to open up a vast abyss of
possibilities for disaster.

IMHO this would be using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.  The upgrade
is working fine, AFAICT, except for this one weird quirk of not being
able to start claws-mail from the command line.

That quirk seems to involve something call "gdk-pixbuf" and something
called "Gtk" and a whole lot of other things that I don't understand at
all.  But that's a small glitch in the system which would not seem to
justify reinstalling the whole system from scratch.

I have tried Paul's advice of doing

> sudo apt reinstall libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0

but that did not help.

> (As for a backup, Ubuntu
> possibly uses like Debian `~/.claws-mail` as the local mailbox
> folder.)

I don't understand the foregoing.  Sorry.

cheers,

Rolf

--
Honorary Research Fellow