[Users] Font setting for Latin + 2 other scripts

Stéphane Aubry stephaneaubry at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 12 17:56:24 UTC 2022

Thank you for your reply.
What I have tried:
1. A python script to merge some Noto Fonts:
https://github.com/googlefonts/nototools/blob/main/nototools/merge_fonts.py
It failed. I can’t remember exactly how it failed. If I remember
correctly, there was no output nor log at all.
2. Merge 3 fonts manually using FontForge application. I can’t
remember exactly which tutorial I followed. It works... somehow. Thai
and French are OK. But in Japanese, I still get about 1 tofu character
per line. (Some errors occurred during the font merging at 2 or 3
distinct steps. I just skipped the error and continue. I have no
skill about fonts.)
Link to my current font file (.ttf file):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UkFQbSGmWeicTJuTEThi97iMzkrixQeK/view?usp=sharing
Link to a screenshot of an incoming email in Japanese. It contains 3 tofus (.png file):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h4hm1N-b9TN-X2PsTj2q-FTJNz360O0Y/view?usp=sharing
Link to a screenshot of the 3 lines below, using the above font (.png
file). All characters are OK on this screenshot.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zPzEVi9inBf4dvuMhatBqYsQCdn_zBe9/view?usp=sharing

 A line of French:
Ç’était comment l’été dernier à la plage. Il aurait dû venir.
A line of Japanese:
ビジネスの現場で使用される内容で、少し専門的な内容も含まれます。依頼者の希望をくみ取って
A line of Thai:
ขออภัยในความล่าช้าของการจัดส่ง คำสั่งซื้อหมายเลข

Basically, before digging into the issue in my font file, I would like
to know if there is "an alternative way". (I imagine an ordered
list of fonts as a setting, and during execution of Claws Mail, if the
1st font file does not contain the character to display, then Claws Mail
open the 2nd font file in the list and checks if it contains the
character to display, etc.)

Best Regards
Stephane
 ----