[Users] TLS version(s) used in Claws Mail

Slavko linux at slavino.sk
Mon Sep 12 16:59:35 UTC 2022

Ahoj,

Dňa Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:10:30 -0000 Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> napísal:

> To edit these you will first need to quit Claws Mail, and then open
> ~/.claws-mail/accountrc, locate your required account block, set your
> preferred configuration as the "gnutls_priority" string and set
> "gnutls_set_priority" to 1 to use it.

To OP: I will suggest do not modify that, especially if you are not
familiar enough with TLS settings. Even if you setup good security
string there, it can be forgotten and can be harmful in future.

If you have enough actual (understand not very ancient) GnuTLS version,
it will handshake the highest common TLS version and most suitable
common cipher suite for you (if you didn't tweak system wide GnuTLS
settings by some wrong way), thus you can ignore mentioned notice from
your provider.

If you want be sure, you can test it by gnutls-cli (if installed) tool
(fill your provider's server name) -- here for implicit TLS (IMAPS):

    echo "a logout" | gnutls-cli -p 993 imap.example.org

I (my IMAP server) use TLS1.2+ for some years already and i never had
problem to connect to it from CM, currently it is connected with:

    TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)

Mentioned notice (from your provider) you have to understand as
targeted to those, who uses some ancient clients, not able to use
TLS1.2+, which is not current GnuTLS/CM case.

regards

--
Slavko
https://www.slavino.sk