[Users] Mail-editing in claws mail w/ external editor: remove dual-editing window

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 11:13:10 UTC 2022

Hey there,

Jeremy Nicoll wrote:

>If there's something recognisably unique about the "dead" window
>that a screen-automation utility could see, you might be able to
>have an automation script permanently running that moves such
>windows off the visible desktop when they are first opened.

I just tried it after enabling the external editor and the message
window that opens contains the "[Edited]" string at the end of its
title the entire time that it's open regardless of whether you're
writing a reply or composing a new message.

>But unless (say) the "dead" window's window title changes once text
>is dumped into it, it'd be hard to have the same utility bring it
>back into view once it's populated.

That "[Edited]" string stays put in the message window's title even
after the changes are saved and the external editor is closed, so a
filter using it should work.

>(I've only used utilities of this sort [eg AutoHotKey] under
>Windows, so don't know what the equivalent is for your OS.]

AutoKey would be able to handle this sort of automation under
GNU/Linux and offers support on a variety of platforms:

https://github.com/autokey/autokey/wiki/Community

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.