[Users] Mail-editing in claws mail w/ external editor: remove dual-editing window

Carlo Federico Pauletti carlofedep at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 10:32:49 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,

I recently started using claws-mail and I like it very much so far.
Beside the "basic" configuration, I wanted to edit any mail in NVIM, so
I wrote a simple script that I placed in my $PATH:

    #!/bin/sh
    # ~/.local/bin/scripts/termnvim.sh

    st -e nvim -f "$@"

(since I use st as my terminal emulator). Then, I set this script as my
external editor by setting "termnvim.sh '%s'" in Preferences > External
Programs > Text editor. This works as intended, and I am editing this
mail in NVIM at this very moment. There is only one little thing that
nonetheless annoys me: whenever I spawn a "compose" window (either when
replying to a mail, or when writing a new one), there is a "claws-mail"
compose window that gets spawned beside the terminal running NVIM. It
seems just to be a "dead" window which just uselessly takes up space,
until it suddently gets "populated" with the text edited in NVIM after
I save and close its buffer. What I would like is that window to remain
"hidden" until exiting NVIM after finishing editing my email: at this
point, the claws-mail compose window with should appear, with the
content just written through NVIM.

Am I asking too much, or is there a way to do so? Or the
"dual-editing-window" thing is just supposed to happen is you edit your
mails through an external editor?

 Best,
 Federico

--
Carlo Federico Pauletti
International School for Advanced Studies