[Users] Claws Mail Can't Connect to Internet With Specific Internet Connection

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 16:45:22 UTC 2022

On Tue, 11 Oct 2022 17:47:20 +0200
Paul Rolland <rol at witbe.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Oct 2022 20:45:31 +0600
> Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > DM: Thanks, Paul R, it's quite helpful to know about this method of
> > testing. With the 'okay' connection and using 'pop.gmail.com', I got
> > what looked like expected output without any noticeable errors. With
> > the 'problem' connection, I got no output at all. I also tried
> > 'smtp.gmail.com' with port 587 on the 'problem' connection; once
> > again, no output (on the 'okay' connection it gives output w/o any
> > errors).
>
> For SMTP, it's a little bit different:
> openssl s_client -host smtp.gmail.com -port 587 -starttls smtp
> and you should have a "250 xxxxx" messsage, such as:
> 250 SMTPUTF8

DM: Thanks for the specific info. (I had earlier looked at the output
from 'info openssl' and it looks like there's loads of stuff you can do
with it, which also means it could take awhile to figure these
specifics out on one's own.)

> > DM: I'm not sure what to gather from these results. Does it mean
> > that the problem is likely something local on my system before
> > there is any connection to the internet? Or is it still possible
> > that it could be an issue outside of my system (local network
> > device settings, or ISP settings)?
>
> It really looks like a network issue, but it's hard to dig without
> asking you to key in some commands. People have suggested some
> traceroute, I second that.
> For example, if the test with smtp.gmail.com doesn't work and you
> have no "250 xxxxx" message, you can try:
> traceroute smtp.gmail.com
> and post the result here.

DM: Again, I appreciate the specific info. I haven't ever used
'traceroute' or 'dig', but will find it interesting to learn more about
using one or both of them for troubleshooting network issues. Thanks to
both you and Richard for your helpful input. Once I'm able to give more
time to this, I'll see what I can find out and post back with results
and/or further questions. Meanwhile, anyone can feel free to throw any
additional ideas into the mix if they think it would be helpful.
Cheers, ---Dustin