[Users] Claws Mail Can't Connect to Internet With Specific Internet Connection

Paul Rolland rol at witbe.net
Tue Oct 11 15:47:20 UTC 2022

Hello,

On Tue, 11 Oct 2022 20:45:31 +0600
Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> DM: Thanks, Paul R, it's quite helpful to know about this method of
> testing. With the 'okay' connection and using 'pop.gmail.com', I got
> what looked like expected output without any noticeable errors. With
> the 'problem' connection, I got no output at all. I also tried
> 'smtp.gmail.com' with port 587 on the 'problem' connection; once again,
> no output (on the 'okay' connection it gives output w/o any errors).

For SMTP, it's a little bit different:
openssl s_client -host smtp.gmail.com -port 587 -starttls smtp
and you should have a "250 xxxxx" messsage, such as:
250 SMTPUTF8

> DM: I'm not sure what to gather from these results. Does it mean that
> the problem is likely something local on my system before there is any
> connection to the internet? Or is it still possible that it could be an
> issue outside of my system (local network device settings, or ISP
> settings)?

It really looks like a network issue, but it's hard to dig without asking
you to key in some commands. People have suggested some traceroute, I
second that.
For example, if the test with smtp.gmail.com doesn't work and you have no
"250 xxxxx" message, you can try:
traceroute smtp.gmail.com
and post the result here.

Rgds,
Paul

--
Paul Rolland                                E-Mail : rol(at)witbe.net
CTO - Witbe.net SA                          Tel. +33 (0)1 47 67 77 77

Please no HTML, I'm not a browser - Pas d'HTML, je ne suis pas un
navigateur "Some people dream of success... while others wake up and work
hard at it"

"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10
or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you
when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
--Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation