[Users] What does the "Encrypt sent messages with your own key in addition to recipient's" setting do?

Paul paul at claws-mail.org
Mon Oct 10 12:12:08 UTC 2022

Your questions are really GnuPG questions rather than Claws Mail questions.

On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 20:30:19 -0700
Viatrix via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> My guess is that the message would be encrypted twice, once with the
> recipient's public key and once with mine, and the recipient would be
> sent the version only they can decrypt, while the one only I can
> decrypt would be saved in my Sent folder. Is this its functionality? If
> not, what is?

The option "Encrypt sent messages with your own key in addition to
recipient's" is equivalent to the "encrypt-to [KEY ID]" option found in
gpg.conf.

If you set the encrypt-to option in gpg.conf then all your sent encrypted
messages in Claws Mail would be encrypted to the [KEY ID] specified, as would
all encrypted files outside of Claws Mail.

The message would be encrypted once but to all keys - yours and all the
recipients. This is standard GnuPG stuff.

> If I send an encrypted message with this setting unchecked, would I be
> unable to read my own sent message or would it be unencrypted in my Sent
> folder? What if I sent an unencrypted message with the setting checked?

You would not be able to decrypt it because you don't hold the key pair that
is needed to decrypt. (Unless, of course, as stated above, you use the
gpg.conf option and the KEY ID is your key id.)

with regards

Paul