[Users] What does the "Encrypt sent messages with your own key in addition to recipient's" setting do?

Viatrix viatrix at purelymail.com
Mon Oct 10 03:30:19 UTC 2022

Hi, I've recently started using Claws Mail's PGP features and I want to
check what the "Encrypt sent messages with your own key in addition to
recipient's" setting (Preferences for current account→Account→Privacy)
does. I have a guess but it'd probably be inconvenient for me or the
recipient if my guess is wrong so I want to double-check.

My guess is that the message would be encrypted twice, once with the
recipient's public key and once with mine, and the recipient would be
sent the version only they can decrypt, while the one only I can
decrypt would be saved in my Sent folder. Is this its functionality? If
not, what is?
If I send an encrypted message with this setting unchecked, would I be
unable to read my own sent message or would it be unencrypted in my Sent
folder? What if I sent an unencrypted message with the setting checked?

Thanks,
--
Viatrix she|they https://viatrix.is-hella.gay 🎃