[Users] Text color of selected item in message and folder lists

Ben Hancock ben at benghancock.com
Mon Oct 10 00:33:43 CEST 2022

Hi all,

I'm a big fan of Claws Mail, but there's an issue that continues to
gnaw (claw?) at me, and that is the coloring of the selected
message in the message list and selected folder in the folder list.

I'm not the first person to raise this:

https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2020-September/026777.html
https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2021-August/028651.html
https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2022-July/030604.html

The issue is that the default background color when an item is selected
is dark blue, and the foreground text is black, which is hard to read
(I think we can agree on that?). The answer back to this complaint has
consistently been that this is the fault of the GTK theme, and another
one should be chosen. But this seems unsatisfactory.

My example: Claws 4.1.0 comes installed by default on the Fedora XFCE
spin. With Adwaita as the default GTK theme, selecting text everywhere
else makes the background dark blue and **changes the foreground color**
from black to white. This is true even in Claws *except* when selecting
a message in the message list or a folder in the folder list -- e.g.
when selecting text while composing a message or in the To/From header
fields, the foreground of the text changes to white. Only in the
message list and the folder list panes does selecting an item leave
the foreground text black while changing the background to dark blue.

Based on my mailing list research, it seems that earlier versions of
Claws did not exhibit this behavior. Indeed, the screenshot from the
Claws Mail homepage (of CM 2.7.1) shows a selected message with a blue
background and white foreground text, and likewise for the folder:

https://claws-mail.org/img/screenshots/main.png

So: Can we call this a bug? If so, what might it take to resolve
it? In the meanwhile, is there a workaround other than changing the GTK
theme (which doesn't often seem to resolve the issue)?

Cheers,

Ben