[Users] Filtering rule for outgoing emails

Milan Obuch claws-mail-users at dino.sk
Tue Oct 4 19:30:40 CEST 2022

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 22:57:12 +0600
Enan Ajmain <3nan.ajmain at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm feeling a little lost between filters and pre- and post-hooks.
> GMail filters incoming emails OK. It filters outgoing emails equally
> well, but since I'm using Claws to send emails, I need to set up
> filtering rules here. But apparently in Claws filtering needs to be
> triggered manually? I'm guessing the automating that is what hooks
> are for.
>
> I want to put certain outgoing emails in certain folders (based on the
> receiver address), filtered automatically after pressing the Send
> button. A gentle guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Do you use folder per email peer model? I mean, are you putting mails
from one person into its own folder and would like to keep all mails
sent to this one person in the same folder?

If yes, then you can set folder property for this folder, by
right-click on this folder, selecting 'Properties...', in popup window
select page 'Compose', and second from top option is 'Save copy of
outgoing mails in this folder instead of Sent'. Get it checked, and
every time you are answering a mail in this folder or you are writing a
new mail while this folder is being selected, what you sent is kept
here.

Another possibility is using a scripting plugin. It is a bit more
complicated, but basically it allows you to modify 'Save Message to'
property of message being edited on 'Other' page of the compose window
you are writing the message in, just at the moment the message is being
sent (and the compose window is being closed).

A problem here is, according a X-Mailer header, if I am deciphering it
correctly, you are using Claws on Windows... In general, there are two
working scripting plugin, Python, official one, available at least on
Linux, but not on Windows. Building prerequisites are somehow complex.
Second one, Lua, being created by me, is not yet in official
repository. It works well on Linux and similar systems, and there was
an experimental build for Windows, but at the moment I don't know about
any effort to replicate it.

So, for the time being, I think you need to stick with folder property
way of doing what you would like. After all, it is not that bad, I am
using it for most of my folders, and I am quite happy with it. You just
need to take care which folder is selected when you are writing new
message, replies are almost automatic, if you have original mails
sorted into folder already.

Regards,
Milan