[Users] Building CM on Windows 11 with MSys2 MinGW

Enan Ajmain 3nan.ajmain at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 17:01:57 CET 2022

On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 05:05:35 -0700
Jonathan Boeing <jonathan at claws-mail.org> wrote:
> It seems like there's a problem with your environment.  In a new
> shell, run:
>
> pkg-config --libs gpgme
> export
> SYSROOT=/home/enan/projects/claws-mail-win32-4.1.1-1/src/playground
> export
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/enan/projects/claws-mail-win32-4.1.1-1/src/playground/install/lib/pkgconfig
> export
> PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/home/enan/projects/claws-mail-win32-4.1.1-1/src/playground/install/lib/pkgconfig
> pkg-config --libs gpgme
>
> The first pkg-config call should show the linux version:
> -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lgpgme -lassuan -lgpg-error
>
> The second should show:
> -L/home/enan/projects/claws-mail-win32-4.1.1-1/src/playground/install/pkgs/gpgme-1.18.0/lib
> -lgpgme
>
> The build system exports those three variables, so you'd need to
> figure out why they aren't taking effect.  Perhaps some other
> environment variable is overriding them?

I'll be away from my Linux machine for a few days, so can't follow up on
this just yet.  And I'm somewhat frustrated by now.  Don't know if I
want to patch CM anymore.  Thank you for being so helpful.  I realize
this must be as frustrating for you as for me.

That brings me to what I want to say until I get back to my Linux
laptop.  Why is it so hard to compile for Windows?  The few
cross-platform softwares I needed to build for myself in Windows, all
were pretty straight forward.  I can't see why CM must be an exception.
There should be better documentation.  And I think the dependencies
should be built separately. . . .

I started writing my suggestions on how to make CM for Win build system
more user-friendly, but then realized it's too old to drastically
change its ways (it still uses bugzilla!) and maybe it doesn't even want
to widen its Windows user-base.

But thank you, Jonathan.  You've been really helpful.  If ever you
decide to overhaul CM for Windows so it doesn't need cross-compiling,
email me.  I can be a tester.

--
Enan
3nan.ajmain at gmail.com