[Users] Install from source on XFce Fedora 37

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Sun Nov 20 19:47:36 CET 2022

On Sun, 20 Nov 2022 18:50:52 +0100
"Jakub T. Jankiewicz" <jcubic at onet.pl> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2022 15:04:17 +0000
> Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > There's plenty of documentation on the fedoraproject.org site about
> > locally building rpms and getting set up to do so.
>
> I'm following the INSTALL file, can you share a link that explain how
> to build RPM file? Do I need to create RPM package myself to install
> claws? I once wanted to learn how to create RPM packages but given
> up, it was more confusing than creating deb files. If Claws don't
> came up with any RPM related files isn't much more difficult that
> just:
>
> ```
> ./configure && make && sudo make install
> ```
>
> but this doesn't work because of missing dependency. So it will be
> exactly the same with with RPM that use some source code only package
> it with RPM file. I don't need RPM file at all. I just want to
> install from source.

As a starting point you should install the rpm-build package, this
should pull in dependencies if you use 'sudo dnf install rpm-build'

You may also find some macro packages useful, fedora-rpm-macros is a
good one to start with.

Essentially you can create a directory structure in your home folder to
build in. I have ~/rpmbuild/ with subdirectories BUILD, BUILDROOT,
RPMS, SOURCES, SPECS, SRPMS, tarballs and tmp.

I usually start by downloading a src rpm file to ~/rpmbuild/SRPMS and
then install it using rpm -ivh <filename>

You should then have an ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/<package-name>-<version>
directory and an ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/<package-name>.spec file

Then cd to that SPECS directory and try running:

rpmbuild --bb <package-name>.spec

You can then see if it builds the binary packages and if not work on any
error messages or missing build-requires packages, usually libraries and
-devel packages.

HTH, I am self taught and may not have fully covered all of the needed
packages, I've been doing it so long I've forgotten how I started.

--

Brian Morrison

                                                          Oscar Wilde