[Users] Problem with binary characters in base64 section

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Sun May 22 21:07:42 CEST 2022

I ran across the following problem.

My telephone (landline) provider sends me a mail when someone calls me and
enters a voice mail. The mail message contains the voice mail as an
attachment.

But there is something weird with this message. The attachment is base64
encoded with 'lines' of 8194 bytes. There are 8191 base64 characters,
followed by hex 00 D0 0A. I would have expected 8191 base64 characters
followed by hex 0A (LF), so the lines can be processed with an input
buffer of 8192 (a generally accepted value).

The 00 (NUL) causes the message to be rejected by my email provider
(Message contains NUL characters (in reply to end of DATA command)) and
that is something that I need to sort out, but that is not related to claws.

What puzzles me is that the message as physically stored on my (local) IMAP
server (dovecot) contains the 00 D0 0A sequences, while the message as
saved from claws (Save email as...) contains 80 D0 0A. The hex 00 (NUL) is
changed to hex 80 (SQLNULL).

Does this sound familiar to someone?

-- Johan