[Users] Building Claws on Win32 (Again)

Rosemary Lockie wishful99 at btinternet.com
Sat May 21 16:10:39 CEST 2022

Hello,

I started off by trying to compile the Win32 version of Claws on WLS/Ubuntu 20.04, but
ran into an issue with needing a later version of meson. I did try updating it, but
discovered that MAKE couldn't find it, and I couldn't work out why. (yes, I had prepended
the installed directory to $PATH!)

So I decided to abandon that, and start afresh with WLS/Debian Bulldog, taking heed of the
README which says webkitgtk fails to build with bison-3.7, so I do have bison-3.6.4
installed.

Now, when I ran MAKE, webkitgtk fails to build, but - according to the log - for a
different reason, as it says it can't find 'python'!

An extract from the error log says:

[snip]
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-w64-mingw32
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for python... configure: error: You need 'python' to compile WebKit
[endsnip]

I do have Python installed (Python 3.9, no earlier versions), so I'm puzzled as to
why it can't find it? Would it be looking - literally - for python, so won't find
(say) /usr/bin/python3.9 ?

$PATH is

/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Kind Regards,
Rosemary Lockie