[Users] Setting up OAuth2 for GMail (To CM List)

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Thu May 5 13:53:55 UTC 2022

On Thu, 5 May 2022 12:31:45 +0600 Dustin Miller wrote:

>On 5/5/22, Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com> wrote:
>>>Follow the instructions here:
>>>https://support.google.com/googleapi/answer/6158849
>>
>> Leave it to Google to put out instructions that barely match the
>> screens...  ;p
>>
>DM: Hi, Pierre. Ah, yes, fun, fun. Thanks for sharing your process. But
>perhaps Google has already changed something that will make it
>different next time... ;) From what I can tell, looks like you set
>things up right in Google Cloud Platform (GCP) for the 'In Production'
>publishing status.

Thanks Dustin...

Lately, I've been weighing the pros and cons of continuing with GMail...
I've discontinued the use of most GMail accounts.  This abomination is
pushing me away as I've been extricating myself from google's grip.  I no
longer use their search engine; but I'm stuck with the Play Store and
the Android backup feature. I'm awaiting 4 16TB SSDs, so I may be able to
dump google soon...  :)

I've been an SC/CM user for about 20 years, and have compiled it for most
of those years; so that doesn't bother me.  Based on the previous OAuth2
threads here, and this initial experience; I'm leaning towards dumping
GMail.

On the bright side; most spam I see is via gmail, so I'll leave the nine
accounts as spam magnets they've become, and let google deal with that
crap.

>a) The development team is working on implementing a fix for this,
>which will likely be eventually included in git and then a future
>release.

The CM developers have been great over the years... I feel sorry for them
having to deal with OAuth2.

Decision time...  the deadline is the end of May, so I'm likely done with
google.

Thanks for responding.

Pierre