[Users] secure email providers

Charles Lane lane at duphy4.physics.drexel.edu
Wed Mar 30 19:03:31 UTC 2022

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 07:35:43 +0200
Saša Janiška <gour at atmarama.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:51:49 -0400
> Charles Lane <lane at duphy4.physics.drexel.edu> wrote:

> > So I run a copy of the Dovecot IMAP server on my laptop, and have
> > Clawsmail connect to that "internal" IMAP.
>
> I used to do that when I was using Gnus for some time...Do you use
> SSL or no need?

No need for SSL, connecting between two programs on the same
computer.

> I was also thinking about getmail which is nice piece of
> software...When experimenting with notmuch/mu4e, I was using mbsync
> to deliver to Maildir spool, but in case with Claws, yeah, I'd need
> Dovecot for IMAP access.

I used to use fetchmail, but configuration is so so so much easier
with getmail. Just tell it to deliver to type=Maildir and the
location of the directory (the same one Dovecot is using) and it
works...the mail goes into the 'new' subdirectory, then claws grabs
it and moves it to 'cur'.

> Occasionally I have to access email via my phone client (K9), so in
> that case I'd need to instruct getmail to keep email on the server
> for some time...it looks you don't have a need for accessin email via
> phone?

Since my mail is stored on a laptop, I mostly have it with me, so
less need for phone access.  But I have looked into it: setting
up a SSH tunnel from laptop to a server I control, so that my
phone could connect to the server and the traffic gets tunneled to
my internal IMAP server; for this, using SSL certificate authentication
and imaps.  The software on my phone is (IMO) glitchy in how it
handles this, so it's frustrating.

If I need email support without the laptop, I'd use the domain
registrar web-mail page. Not a good long-term solution, but okay
for occasional use.
--
Drexel University  |/             /    ·   ν ·   Chuck Lane   |D