[Users] imapcache folder contains all and complete messages from the IMAP server(s) ?

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 15:56:24 UTC 2022

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:23:48 +0300
Cristian Secară <liste at secarica.ro> wrote:

> Suppose I want to do a backup of my e-mails from one of the IAMP
> accounts. I see that the imapcache folder contains all my recent
> messages in complete form (i.e. including attachments), but I only
> checked a few messages, at random.
>
> Provided that I already entered for viewing all IMAP subfolders by
> just clicking on each, should I assume that all e-mails from server
> are cached (mirrored) locally ?

DM: I haven't used IMAP a lot, but I think this depends on whatever
settings you are using and whatever you have done that is relevant to
those settings. My understanding is that the imapcache folder would
contain the complete form of whatever emails have been downloaded. So
the basic question is whether or not all messages have been downloaded.
I think there is also a manual way to download and/or sync everything
or do it for a specific folder. I think I remember making sure to do
that before I ran a backup or if I wanted to make sure I could access
emails while I was offline. Hope that helps, ---Dustin