[Users] Help with supplying App Domain for OAuth2

Leon Fisk lfiskgr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 15:00:23 UTC 2022

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:03:13 +0000
Rosemary Lockie via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

<snip>
>The only issue that remained for me is that so far as my Google a/c is concerned it
>regarded it as a security issue because I'm giving access to a third-party application.
>
>I think I may have found a way round that now, by logging into my Google A/c and telling
>it to Dismiss their Privacy Recommendation, but that remains to be seen. I get the
>impression that Google is tightening up its Security requirements on a regular basis,
>so who knows how long that may last?!

Hi Rosemary,

I received this from Gmail on March 3, 2022:

===
On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure
sign-in technology

To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use
of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google
Account using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to
sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies,
like OAuth 2.0.

*What do you need to do?*

*Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier,* has less secure access
to your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any
other email software where you can sign in using *Sign in with Google*.
===

I recently read some discussion on this via K9 Android mail app forum.
It was thought that "App Passwords" would still work after "less secure
apps" is done away with. You need to have your Web Access to Google set
up with two-factor authentication though. See:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833

I haven't yet decided whether I want to try getting OAuth 2.0 working
or change Web Access to two-factor and try setting up an "App
Password". Doing the latter would allow me to use K9 Android, which
didn't seem to have OAuth 2.0 working yet...

--
Leon
Claws 3.18.0, Debian