[Users] Unable to send messages

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 23:28:18 CET 2022

On 13/03/2022, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/03/2022, Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 05:01:18 +0800
>> Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Why can't I send messages, while being able to receive messages?
>>
>> What does the Network log say? (/Tools/Network Log)
>>
>> with regards
>>
>> Paul
>
> First, when trying to send, it displays
> Account                         Status
> <mailserver name>     Connecting
>
> Then, it displays an error message;
> "
> Error
> An error happened during SMTP session.
> Use "Send queued messages"  from the main window to retry.
> <Close>      <View log>"
>
> But, in the main window, "Send queued messages" is always greyed out.
>
> Network log;
>
> "
> *Account '<email account>': Connecting to SMTP server:
> mail.<domainname>:25...
> ***mail.<domainname>:25: connection failed (Connection timed out).
> ***Error occurred while sending the message.
> "
>

> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> (UTC+0800)

I have just set up a claws mail email account for claws mail version
3.13.2 running on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04, and tried sending a message
out.

I got a more detailed error log.

It showed
"[06:24:24] SMTP< 550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)"

The HELO name that claws mail sent, was not the email account, but,
the computer name.

Why is claws mail sending the computer name and not the email account
that is set in the claws mail account?

I assume that this is what is happening also, on the other
installation, on the other computer.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale