[Users] Gmail 'less secure app access'

Simon Harrison info at simonh.uk
Thu Mar 10 21:13:23 CET 2022

On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 11:42:25 -0800
Jigme Datse <jigme.datse at datsemultimedia.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 12:18:09 -0000
> Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 20:52:09 -0600
> > lmfrm <lmfrm at nanogroup.xyz> wrote:
> >
> > > It's important to boycott such monopolies and flock to
> > > alternatives, if not to let Google die off, to save what little
> > > privacy and security you have.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > with regards
>
> My response to this is pretty much the same.  If I can't realistically
> make Claws Mail work (yeah two factor authentication, great I don't
> have a cell phone and certainly not a smart phone and I'm sure many
> will tell me various versions of, "yeah you can make it work" from
> people who haven't tried actually making it work) then it will be just
> a couple of my accounts being inaccessible, and in that case (if I
> understand correctly) Google "close your account due to inactivity" (I
> get messages of that sort to accounts that I have told them to delete
> all references to, the "The database doesn't allow it" argument won't
> fly with me, because while I may not be able to *delete* records, I
> can always delete the content of the records...).  Sorry... ranty...

As others have said, 2FA is nothing more than an inconvenience
ultimately. Google only wants you to use their apps to access your
email. It really is time to look for an alternative (there are plenty).

For what it's worth, since about 2002, I've had all my mail forwarded
from a domain I own to an email provider. So when I decided to use
Gmail as little as possible a few years ago, I simply changed the
forwarding address at my domain registrar to the new email provider.
I'm amazed so few people do this.

Regards,

Simon

--