[Users] claws-mail does not remember password even though the "Remember with password manager" option is checked

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 02:40:01 CET 2022

On Tue, 8 Mar 2022 15:53:33 -0600
lmfrm <lmfrm at nanogroup.xyz> wrote:

> "Remember with password manager" is not from Claws Mail. This sentence
> appears nowhere in Claws Mail. So whatever is asking to remember your
> password is not Claws Mail."

DM: I use Linux Mint as well, and I'm guessing this is related to
gnome-keyring or something similar that is system-wide and is meant to
work as a built-in password manager storage area. I don't really use
anything like that, so I don't know much about it, other than that
sometimes (often) on my system's first attempt (of a session) to access
the network / internet (by whatever program) I have to enter the
password that it 'forced' me to create. I think there are ways to
disable it, but I haven't found any that are 'easy' and/or seemed
'secure', so I just put up with it.

> "Claws Mail is not a gnome program and has nothing to do with
> gnome-keyring...Your gpg-agent settings will control your interaction
> with gpg on your system, not specifically in Claws Mail."
>
> Well something is causing Claws to use gnome-keyring and/or gpg-agent
> when it's installed. I don't know enough about how my system works
> under the hood to comment further on that aspect. All I see is what's
> going on on the surface.

DM: I would guess you should focus on finding out what is causing what.
It's possible that this is not a Claws issue, so you might find better
help / advice elsewhere. ---Dustin