[Users] A hearty endorsement of Posteo as an email server.

mi codejodler at gmx.ch
Mon Jun 20 02:11:08 CET 2022

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2022 13:40:21 -0400
> slitt at troubleshooters.com wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> > The minute I heard about Gmail's OATH2 on the Claws list (thank you
> > for that), I went out and bought a mail account from Posteo.de for
> > one Euro per month, changed all my various accounts to use my posteo
> > address, and it's been working out great. For twelve Euros per month
>
>   Uh, did you mean 12 Euros per year???

yes, did he

You get 2 addresses (as in, one alias to the subscription account) and every more is 30 ct / month per alias.

If your deposit payment runs out you can still receive but not send anymore. They don't kick you out - you've lots of time then to pay up once more.

They say it's running on 100% Opensource. They have some security features too of course (like 2-factor with TOTP app, or server side encryption) but i don't think they do OAuth yet. They put a focus on privacy, meaning they don't access or collect user data. They deliver reports about all this.

There should be many more honest mail providers like them, around the globe but i liked it that they are a small German company, with nothing else than Email as a business (and no Big Data), and of we have reasonable tight laws in Germany too. They are definitely not a bad choice.

I'm at posteo since many years. They have spam filters; but i still use to wonder why i rarely ever get any SPAM over these accounts. (I can't even recall one right now) I wonder if the reason is that i do not use posteo for mailing list subscriptions, so it's probably not their merits.

I tried protonmail, some years ago,  and found it was not bad. According to their websites advertising, they put a lot effort into security. Tthey have a nice web GUI. Their VPN app (integrates with their Email app but can also be used standalone) is also really cool. But i am not too sure who really is behind them, i guess it's still the usual big money investors. Their apps are free with restricted functionality, for example only a few VPN servers instead of the default figure (maybe hundreds).