[Users] Using Claws mail and Gmail

meator meator.dev at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 15:46:43 CET 2022

Hello.
I am trying to use Claws mail with my Gmail account. As noted in
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en, Gmail no
longer supports authentication without Oauth. This means that the
entirety of https://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Using_Claws_Mail_with_Gmail
is now obsolete.
To solve this, I have tried to follow
https://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Oauth2. One part of the
article is a little disturbing:

> This results in the status changing to ‘In Production’ and a new section ‘Verification Status’ showing with a ‘Needs verification’ status, which can be safely ignored.

When I try to do this, I am requested to provide:
1. An official link to your app's Privacy Policy
2. A YouTube video showing how you plan to use the Google user data
you get from scopes
3. A written explanation telling Google why you need access to
sensitive and/or restricted user data
4. All your domains verified in Google Search Console

I am not willing to make a YouTube video showing how I plan to login
to Claws mail, nor to do the other things. This solution doesn't seem
to be usable for a single user, but please correct me if there is
another solution to this.

This means that the only way to authenticate to Gmail is to keep the
project in 'Testing' status. This would mean that I have to recreate
the project every seven days. I don't think this is a suitable
approach.

Based on these facts, I assume that Claws mail doesn't support using
Gmail accounts. Is that correct?