[Users] mail.com

pete petegn at mail.com
Tue Jun 14 12:06:38 CET 2022

On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:01:59 +1200
Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 22:17:37 +0100
> pete <petegn at mail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well  .
> >
> > I have now given up on 0auth2  on gmail  and switched to
> > http://mail.com
> >
> > If anyone has any magic recepies to get 0auth2 to work i would be
> > interested but right now i am switching
> >
> > PeteN
>
> I would like a bit more detail about this, if I may be so bold. I would
> *very* much like to ditch gmail if this is possible, but I fear
> Traps for Young Players.
>
> (1) Can you (or anyone on the list) give me some background on
> "mail.com"?
>
> (2) What are the notable drawbacks?  I'm sure there must be some!
>
> (3) I presume that mail.com "works" with Linux operating systems
> (as opposed to being restricted to Windoze and/or Mac OSX).  Am I
> correct in this presumption?
>
> (4) It seems, from groping around the mail.com web page, that mail.com
> is connected with Firefox/Mozilla.  What if any are the implications
> of this?
>
> (5) I just looked over the mail.com web page a bit more and got the
> impression that it is set up to be used *only* via a web
> browser.  Is that correct? :-(
>
> (6) I found a site that listed "the top 10 free email providers"
> (or something like that).   In this list, mail.com didn't get a
> mention.  Has anyone any idea why this might be so?
>
> I'd be ever so grateful for response to the above, and any other
> comments that anyone might have.
>
> Thanks

Hi  I have had mail.com as a second account for a good few years  i use  Claws
Mail exclusively  have done since darn Akonadia was put into Kmail on KDE

I hate and detest Web based mail  if i cant crack this 0auth2 rubbish then i
will close my gmail down delete it all as i will not use a web interfcae for
mail

I went thru list of mail providers  some seem ok then start failing  mail.com
has so far been ok in the maybe 5 years i have been using  them
As for their association with Mozilla i don not know but i use FireFox browser
so that is not a problem  dumped all the other browsers the latest dumping was
Brave  not nice caught it sending stuff to sites i knew nothing about so
deleted it instantly

Pete