[Users] How to change the background color on the folder list and message list?

Ben Hancock ben at benghancock.com
Thu Jul 21 13:32:23 UTC 2022

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 12:53:33 -0400
slitt at troubleshooters.com wrote:
> So I went into Openbox Configuration Manager and changed the theme
> first to Clearlooks-Olive, then Natura, then Orang, but the background
> color of current message highlight and current folder highlight
> remained dark blue after quitting and restarting Claws. I used
> gtk-theme-config and changed the color of every background color,
> restarted Claws, and still dark blue.
>
> I then went into /home/user/slitt/.config/gtk-3.0 to edit gtk.css,
> verified that @menu_bk_color was not dark blue, and noted that almost
> all menu/scrolling type backgrounds were set to menu_bg_color. My
> current /home/user/slitt/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css can be seen at:

I think the color definition you want to change is `selected_bg_color`
(and/or perhaps `selected_focused_fg_color` as well, to change the
color of the font for the selected email/folder). I ran into this issue
recently and was able to make my intended fix by editing the
theme CSS files directly under ~/.themes/THEME_NAME_HERE/, in both the
gtk-2.0/ and gtk-3.0/ directories.

In case it's relevant for your case, for the theme I use
(ClassicLooks), the file I actually had to edit is called `tweaks.css`,
which is imported by the theme's `gtk.css` file.

The line I changed looks like this:

	@define-color selected_bg_color #b6dd82;

Hope that's helpful.

- Ben