[Users] Connecting unrelated messages to become a thread ?

Viatrix viatrix at purelymail.com
Thu Jul 21 00:24:44 UTC 2022

> What we are discussing here is modifying messages so that they will
> appear threaded in Claws Mail, so the simplest approach should
> suffice. However, you wouldn't use the In-Reply-To header /instead/
> of but as well as the References header: Appending the Message-ID to
> the References header, /and/ making the Message-Id the value of
> In-Reply-To header.
That wasn't exactly what I meant; I meant *appending* the Message-ID to
the In-Reply-To header. However, it looks like Claws Mail doesn't have
any special behaviour defined in such a case, nor for the case of a
message referencing two separate threads.

The only way I found to make threads fully join was to make the *first
message* of a thread reply to/reference the *first message* of the
other thread. It also appears that when composing a reply within such a
joined thread, the References header is generated from just one or two
parents, not all ancestors, which may or may not be desired behaviour.

If it helps, I've made a shell script with my limited knowledge of bash
to join the first messages of two or more threads; it's attached.

--
Viatrix she|they https://viatrix.is-hella.gay