[Users] Claws Mail in Debian Backports

Sat Jul 9 22:29:39 UTC 2022

On Sat, 9 Jul 2022 18:03:09 -0400,
Edward<epp at caramail.com> wrote:

>I also have Debian Stable installed (in a VM) in which Backports were
>enabled by default.
>
>On the current Claws installed (3.17.8-1+b1), Synaptic shows the
>packages are in: 'Not Automatic: bullseye-backports'.
>
>Currently in 'bullseye-backports/main', there are a few new Claws plugin
>packages (4.1.0-2-bpo11+1).
>
>Once the remaining Claws 4.1.0 packages are in bullseye-backports/main,
>am I correct that I would need to uninstall the 3.17.8 Claws, before
>upgrading to 4.1.0?
>
>This is the first I've used Debian Stable with Backports already
>enabled. Posts I've found online, answer both yes and no, as to whether
>such packages would automatically upgrade.

You shouldn't need to uninstall the Claws 3.17.8 before upgrading to the
backports one, it should be enough with a apt update/apt upgrade (If
not, do a "apt install -t bullseye-backports claws-mail", but if you as
you say have "backports enabled by default" I very much doubt this
being needed).

You might get a warning that claws-mail is depending on some plugin
that is of the 3.17.8-1 version, and cannot install because of this -
one solution could be to simply install claws-mail and all plugins from
backports - which should be doable using a command like

sudo apt install -t bullseye-backports claws-mail*

Don't mix 3.17.8-1 versions with the backports 4.1.0-2 versions - this
can only result in headaches. (But this shouldn't be possible due to
package dependencies). And it shouldn't take very long before the
backports repositories are all updated (I very much thought they would
already be).

I would recommend following the instructions on
https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/ -

Glad the backport is useful!
-- Andreas Rönnquist
mailinglists at gusnan.se