[Users] Reading and then deleting...

John B yonaton at riseup.net
Wed Feb 16 11:46:45 UTC 2022

Hi gang!

  It's been a while since I've had to write to the list for a little help,
  that's how well Claws has been doing for me (several years at least!).

  Thing is, I've been waiting for Slackware to come out with its latest version,
  which it did some days ago, and from my older version of 14.2, I'd saved my
  hidden .claws-mail directory to plop into my brand new shiny Slackware
  15...which I did.

  Things didn't work out so well, but disastrous, as I still have 14.2 on a
  separate computer anyway. The 'problem' there that happened was that when I
  opened my new shiny Claws mail, it showed all my Mailboxes and the setup
  exactly correctly and the number of e-mails in each of them. What it *didn't*
  do was actually still *have* those e-mails in those mailboxes.

  What I mean is, when I clicked on one, for example my 'Claws keepers' (which
  had only a few actual e-mails in it), it just opens up that directory and
  shows...nothing, and the directory in the list on the left shows the number of
  e-mails supposed to have been in there as '0'. So, no old e-mails from all the
  years of saving them.

  This happened with *ALL* the directories in my Mailbox list. As I said, this
  isn't disastrous, just curious if anyone knows why and how to maybe fix it.

  My *REAL* problem though, is that when I click on a mailbox in the Mailbox
  list, it shows threads (which is what I want), etc. What is *NOT* happening
  and that I can find nothing to solve in the 'preferences', is this:

When I click on the first message in a thread, it's at the 'top' of the thread
and the responses to it will thread 'below' each...in other words it's starting
old-to-new, going down (I have the 'date' column set going oldest to newest).

When I've read that message, I normally will click on the 'Trash' button in the
menu bar at the top of the screen - and most importantly here - I expect the
message I just read (say for example, the OP), but what happens instead is, the
next highlighted message to be read goes to the *LAST* post/reply in that
thread, and I then have to scroll up (if the thread is long) and find the actual
post to the message I'd just read.

If it's *not* a thread, then when I've read a message and I click 'Trash', I
expect to go to the very next message directly under the one I just read and the
messages in that mailbox and I have to manually scroll back up and click on the
next actual message I *expected* to highlight and come up to be read by age.

  This used to work for me properly, but now it's become a major headache. Is
  there something I'm missing in the preferences or not doing correctly or maybe
  not holding my mouth right? Any assistance with this will be greatly
  appreciated, and as usual, thanks to the Claws team for such a great MUA. It's
  still the best as far as I'm concerned.

    John

--
You have the right to voice your opinion, but you do not have the right to
silence mine.

"I'm offended" has never been a valid counterpoint in any discussion. You're
offended, so what, why should I care?

Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew
it. -Mark Twain