[Users] best way to install claws-mail on Mint

Manfred Schmitt claws at slashproc.org
Sat Feb 5 13:39:41 UTC 2022

Paul wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2022 23:06:48 -0300
> Martín Ricca <martin.ricca at vera.com.uy> wrote:
>
> > I used the version that was in the repository briefly, when I first
> > started using Claws about a year ago. The only issue I remember having
> > with it is that all the text in the menus was in Spanish, as intended,
> > but the headers for the columns in the list of messages were in English,
> > and I could find no way of changing this.
>
> That doesn't sound possible. You probably mean the toolbar text was English.
> This could happen because the toolbar text is user-configurable but the
> default is set based on the language you are using when you first run
> claws-mail. So, the next time if you run in Spanish the toolbar text will
> remain in English.

Using Claws 3.17.3-2 from Debian Buster (Oldstable) I can see what
Martin likely means:
My locale is set to de_DE.UTF-8 but as you could see in the attached
shot only the column for size is shown in german.
Though I don't mind, never noticed it.
I also prefer to show the message headers in the header bar above the
message view untranslated, aka translate_header=0.
If I change it to translate_header=1 all columns are shown in german.

So to me it seems that Martin also had set translate_header=0 and the
setting does not only change the display in the header bar above the
message view but also the display of the columns in the message list
(which I think is fine).
And size is nonetheless translated because it isn't a real email header
but just a translatable string?

I can't find that setting in the GUI, is it a hidden setting?
But I also didn't find it in clawsker (1.3.1-1, also from Buster).

Btw, when writing a message the From and Subject headers are always
translated (atleast in 3.17, hadn't the time to checkout Claws 4).

--
Bye,
Manfred